Hi! You are VISITOR number

3 Steps to EASY Relief Teaching.

Honsestly, this is ridiculously easy and I am sure you have used this strategy but its simplicity and effectiveness for relief teaching still amazes me. I was relief teacher for today (Thurs 29) and working with a group of 20 or so year 6 & 7 students using the Walking with Dinosaur activity sheet.

I must have used this lesson 20 times last year. I love it. This is the third time I have used it this year.


I love this lesson because the kids are enthralled for 90 minutes - without fail - and the comprehension activities will challenge them as they are exceedingly difficult. If kids aren't completely attuned to listening, they can't do it.

Anyway, this is how I attacked it.

1. The kids would review the questions with a friend PRIOR to listening/watching the DVD so they were cued into listening for key words.  Check the worksheet below. Kids read 5 (or so) questions and try to work out what words would fit. Just like a closure reading comprehension activity. (Tick for curriculum content)

Relief Teaching - walking with dinsosaurs worksheet
Click to enlarge

2. We would watch the appropriate segment of the video and the kids would write the answers on their sheets independently. (Tick for working quietly)

3. We would discuss the answers as a class, kids would correct their own sheet and then back to Step 1. (Tick for correcting your work)

Can it get any easier? 90 Minutes of Relief Teaching - done and dusted!

I purchased the whole Walking with Dinosaurs series but I have only used Episode One so far. (I am working on the other episodes for future lessons)

The series is quite old now so I am sure you could get it cheaply somewhere.  I have added the series to My Favourites at eStoreAust.com or you can click on the image below. If you are not in a hurry it will be at your address in 21 days - New price $11.49 + Postage will cost you $5.48 = not much.




Alternatively you can check this out on ebay for $49 plus $2.98. It's a bit more expensive but you might get it sooner. Of course you could check a used dvd somewhere but why would you when you can get it for $11.49 + $5.48.

Which ever way you buy it, this activity will put you on the Relief Teaching "Call Any time" list so it will be money well spent.